Does drink soy milk and add more soy to your diet can improve hair loss?
Yes, researches have confirmed that soy isoflavones can help to prevent hair loss while accelerating hair growth and improving androgenic alopecia.
Following the advice of your doctor, appropriate supplement of soy isoflavones can accelerate hair growth, and have many unexpected benefits.
1. Soy isoflavones prevent hair loss and help hair growth
New research shows that soy isoflavones can reduce DHT in humans, effectively prevent the progression of male and female pattern baldness and prostate cancer.
A study indicated that a byproduct created in the intestine when the soy isoflavone daidzein is digested has an antiandrogen effect that could stop the progression of male pattern baldness and prostate cancer. The compound, known as equol, works by blocking the androgenic hormone dihydrotestosterone (DHT), known to stimulate prostate growth and scalp hair loss. Senior author Robert J. Handa, PhD, of Colorado State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine, explained, “Directly binding and inactivating DHT without influencing testosterone gives equol the ability to reduce many of the harmful effects of androgens without affecting the beneficial ones.”
This study has been supported by many experiments. Tofu, soy milk or texturized soy are easy to add to your diet nowadays. In Japan, where soy is a dietary staple, intakes of isoflavones are 50mg to 100mg per day for both men and women, compared with typical western intakes of just 2mg to 5mg isoflavones per day. Blood levels of isoflavones in Japan are therefore as much as 110 times higher than those typically found in the West. It’s been a long history that Asian taken soy products, so we do not have to worry about the soybean food safety. With an appropriate amount of soy food taking habits, not only can prevent hair loss, but also can be used as a basis for a healthy diet.
2. Soy isoflavones && Hair loss
On androgenic alopecia, some people think that women are more fortunate than men, as women have a lower probability of hair loss due to estrogen. Soy isoflavones contain sufficient phytoestrogens, which is the spearhead against baldness.
In addition to maintaining the physiological function of women and increasing “femininity”, estrogen also has special effects on hair:
- Reduce the amount of body hair and promote hair growth
- Block DHT and reduce hair loss
- Extend the growth period of hair
As long as the body has a normal concentration of estrogen, it can reduce the damage of DHT hormone to the hair, and it will not allow the female to have androgenic alopecia when they are young. If your estrogen is low, it is necessary to make the body estrogen returned to normal levels by adding soy isoflavones, and soy isoflavones are natural phytoestrogens that are safer than drugs.
3. Ten benefits of soy isoflavones
Soy isoflavones are currently the only safe and effective natural phytoestrogens in the world, and its top ten major functions are believed to be what you need:
- Improve the quality of skin | Make the skin smooth, delicate, silky and elastic
- Anti-aging | Long-term supplementation of soy isoflavone can prevent premature ovarian failure, thus postponing the arrival of menopause, achieving the anti-aging effect
- Improve menstrual discomfort | Uneven estrogen secretion lead to menstrual discomfort, the bidirectional regulation of soy isoflavones can make estrogen level normal and improve the menstrual discomfort
- Mitigating Menopause Discomfort | Soy isoflavones can regulate estrogen levels by having a similar structure to human oestrogen, which can alleviate many of the symptoms of menopause
- Prevent osteoporosis in advance | Women who are menopausal or postmenopausal produce less estrogen and that leads to bones fracture or break more easily. Timely replenishing soy isoflavones, which can effectively against the osteoporosis
- Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease | Supplementing soy isoflavones, can reduce the blood concentration and prevent the deposition of specific types of proteins in the brain, to prevent Alzheimer’s disease in advance
- Prevent Cardiovascular Diseases | Soy isoflavones can prevent the formation of atherosclerosis and prevent the onset of cardiovascular disease in advance
- Anti-breast cancer | Soy isoflavones can combine with the estrogen receptors, thereby reducing the activity of estrogen, reducing the risk of breast cancer due to high estrogen levels in women
- Reduce the risk of heart disease | As well as having antioxidant, anti-inflammatory actions, soy isoflavones interact with oestrogen receptors within the circulation to dilate coronary arteries, reduce arterial stiffness, lower blood pressure and reduce blood stickiness to discourage unwanted blood clots.
- Anti-prostate cancer | Results from a new University of California study show that Soy isoflavones slowed prostate cancer growth and caused prostate cancer cells to die. It acts against cancer cells in a way similar to many common cancer-treating drugs.
4. Who need soy isoflavones?
Estrogen is key to healthy aging for women. Without estrogen, a woman’s health and quality of life will suffer. Scientists believe that if soy isoflavones are supplemented from the age of 30, women’s youth can be extended to at least 40 years old.
During puberty, estrogen levels in the body are the highest in life, manifested as smooth and delicate skin, full figure and youthful beauty. After the age of 30, the estrogen begins to decrease. By the age of 45, it drops to about 15% of the adolescence, with the phenomena of skin aging, weary and tired, insomnia and weight gain, which indicates that women begin to aging.
Estrogen decrease leads to female aging mainly includes five aspects:
- Appearance of aging: such as skin relaxation, rough, and wrinkles
- Degeneration of female sexual characteristics: such as weight gain, breast become sag and flatten, vagina become drier and the vaginal walls become thinner which make sex painful
- Physical and mental: such as fatigue, insomnia, lack of energy, bad temper and increased in bone density
- Perimenopause: such as hot flashes, difficulty sleeping, depression, breast tenderness, insomnia, and irritability
- Night sweats, palpitations, insomnia, or nervous, anxiety and other emotions, then the DHT hormone in the body gradually attack the hair follicles, so that the hair follicle slowly atrophy, which is the reason that our mom’s hair become less and less with their aging.
Lifeless hair, dull skin, weak nails and swings mood are caused by aging. We suggest starting your anti-aging regimen with an inside look at your estrogen hormones. Simple dietary changes can also help support healthy estrogen levels through the intake of phytoestrogens.
To a limited extent, phytoestrogens could serve as a type of natural hormone replacement therapy. Because they mimic real estrogen in your body, phytoestrogens accomplish some of the same things.
5.What foods contain soy isoflavones?
If you don’t want to take supplements or drugs to add soy isoflavones, you can consider foods which are rich in it.
The most significant and notable foods are:
- Soy milk
- Soybean Sprouts
- Vegetarian Burger
Most studies are suggesting that soy isoflavones can help prevent hair loss and enhance healthy hair growth. But it is important to involve your doctor before deciding to include soy in your diet. Unless you’re allergic to soy or a cancer survivor, there is no reason to why you should not take soy, especially considering its nutritive content.
This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended to replace the advice of your doctor or healthcare provider. We encourage you to discuss with your doctor any questions or concerns you may have.